Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 112

Thread: The Marcus Vick situation

  1. #91
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Marcus Vick situation

    I will be logical, and analyze each of your questions so you can understand ok.

    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    But how did Phil Fulmer get the job?

    [/ QUOTE ]

    He won games with the same crew that Johnny lost games with. Losing to teams like South Carolina is what cost Majors his job.

    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Where did he recruit from? Let's be real he followed where Johnny recruited from.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Knoxville. Thats where they both worked. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Seriously, they both recruited whereever the best players are. The same as everyother major college. That has no relevance.

    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    It was all looking good when Johnny was sick and Phil was the man.


    [/ QUOTE ]

    Your correct. UT was winning with Phil coaching, and losing when Johnny rushed back to try and claim some of the glory. Which he quickly lost against South Carolina.

    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    What has happened lately. Phil is the head coach and they won a national title under who. And who as the assistant head coaches?


    [/ QUOTE ]

    You answered your own question. Phil did win the national title. Isn't that the objective. Well Saunders, Chavis, and numerous others. Whats the point?

    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Oh well. Point the finger where you won't to.

    I point it at the head man. He was able to fire others's but did he take any of the blame?


    [/ QUOTE ]

    Apparently so. In his interviews he spoke about it, and he sent out an e-mail to the alumni, and season ticket holders taking responsibility.

    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    How long did Johnny coach afer Phil took his job at UT and what has Phil done lately besides blame everyone besides himself?


    [/ QUOTE ]

    Johnny come back after Phil started 3-0 as the interim head coach to coach for like 8 games going 5-3 if I am not mistaken, and then after being fired he ran Pitt into the ground again farther than what it had been.

    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I know it makes for some hard questions guys. But let's be honest.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Nah, they weren't that hard, so I was honest for you. I hope that helps you out.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  2. #92
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Marcus Vick situation

    lol, yeah I know but I just said what I thought needed to be said! That guy needs to act like he's 21 years old, not like he's 15 years old!

    ........ then again, he's been with a 15 year old girl supposedly, so maybe this shouldn't surprise me. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Officially retired

  3. #93
    Inactive Member LPD_raider's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2004
    Posts
    358
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Marcus Vick situation

    does he throw like a 15 year old too? lol jk man jk

  4. #94
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Marcus Vick situation

    Pfft! Well I'm uh 16... so that's at least uh... 1 year below me, heheheh. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
    Officially retired

  5. #95
    Inactive Member imported_ut1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    1,654
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Marcus Vick situation

    As a longtime UT fan, I also disagree with your take on the situation with Fulmer. Majors was on the way out long before Phil stepped up. Phil just happened to be in the right place at the right time, something I see in the job market all the time.
    And I think Phil has done well in the punishment he dishes out to misbehaving players. I put myself in his (or Beamer's) shoes and remember what it was like when I was 18 and in college....I didn't give much thought to what was illegal, only to not getting caught. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] In saying that, I certainly can sympathize with Marcus.
    The situation with him was unfortunate, but I think the punishment fit the crime and was necessary. VT bent over backwards in giving him chances, but he couldn't overcome his own immaturity.
    And for my last take on the whole discussion, comparing VT and UT is like comparing apples and oranges. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
    "Yes, there are two paths you can go by
    But in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on."

  6. #96
    Inactive Member imported_GC_Quincy's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    905
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Marcus Vick situation

    And as for "blowing the whistle", nine other SEC coaches had their say about it.
    In honor and memory of my best friend Toby (oletob)
    Take em one at a time and everything else will take care of itself

  7. #97
    Inactive Member UTFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2005
    Posts
    51
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Marcus Vick situation

    Wonder why they waited until after the game was over before they acted? They knew before half time about the 'stomping' and the 'traffic problem' but they let him continue the game. Needed the victory! Then suddenly they figured he was 'bad' What a revelation!! Oh well, got the win!!

  8. #98
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: The Marcus Vick situation

    Let's see that is 5 UT fans. Look at the number of threads on here about Vick and Tech.
    What happened at UT this year? Nothing. Hmm. They UT made personnel changes all year long. And it still didn't help.
    Who do you blame then? Oh ok it was the talent. Not enough talent. Cause if you say UT had the talent then the problem goes back to coaches. And we know that there is only one real coach at UT. And you don't blame one coach for anything.
    Not Phil Fulmer or according to this forum you don't. Geez guys be real, when it all collapses, you have to look some where, besides the assistant coaches wouldn't you think? And if you do who put the assistant coaches where they were to begin with. Or is that just to far out there for some to think about.
    I like loyalty guys. But there's also a time you have to open your eyes and look past the hoorah of it all. Don't worry guys UT won't never part with Phil. And that is not the point.
    Fulmer's only worry would be if he got sick or had to have surgery. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
    This is the point.
    I like how many have lit up the board with VT stuff and none look at what really went on down the road years ago. And not just players. But coaches. Majors was on his way out? Maybe. And i would guess so when your in the hospital and someone else is winning with the team you help recruit. And what position did this interim head coach hold?
    Just gets me how some can point fingers at others but can't stand to hear the truth about their own. I wasn't a big Johnny Majors fan either. But what went down when he was sick. Ah just left a bad taste. And Phil does what he always does, quietly gets his way. And why did Majors come back so quickly? He knew what was going on behind his back. And if he was such a bad coach how did he win a national title with Pitt, before he come to UT.
    Guess there is things that you don't talk about among the UT faithful and this is one of them. Besides this past season.
    And honestly i wasn't trying to piss off anyone. I just got tired of hearing about one program. When others have their own secrets, their just not talked about. Now if that makes you not like me. Then that is up to you. But i think we all know somethings are never talked about that happen.
    Oh well there is always Tech to talk about.

  9. #99
    Inactive Member imported_ut1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    1,654
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Marcus Vick situation

    I don't think I've pointed fingers at any particular team. I pull for both UT and VT, something some think is impossible to do. I guess I should be a bigger VT fan than anything since I've sent them a bunch of bucks for the last 5 years. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I admire VT for their handling of personnel problems, especially for their stand with Vick. I also admire Fulmer for actions he has taken in the past in punishing or dismissing players.
    I don't think I ever got on here and beat the bushes about how good UT was going to be this year...that's something you'll rarely see me do about any team, unless I'm pointing out their talent pool and the possibilities for the season. I got on their case this year because I think they wasted both a good defense and a better-than-average offense.
    As a fan, I was disappointed in their performance, but recognized that you can't be on top of the heap every year..."ebb and flow". Having a down-year just gives you something to shoot for the next.
    Blaming a coach for the performance of his/her players is like blaming a parent for the actions of his/her adult child. They can teach, train, direct, exhort, and encourage, but the performance of the player is their own responsibility. On more than one occasion this past season, a UT player fumbled the ball in critical situations that very well could have decided the outcome of the game. Coach Fulmer's fault?? The QB threw INTs in critical situations. Coach Fulmer's fault? I don't think so. But, he is the top man, and as the saying goes,"It's lonely at the top".... mainly because regardless what your team does, you're either going to be criticized, or heralded as the best thing since sliced bread.
    "Yes, there are two paths you can go by
    But in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on."

  10. #100
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Marcus Vick situation

    Majors was done at UT. He never should have gotten another head coaching job like at Pitt where it was a disaster. I was ready for a change, that is for sure.
    UT hasn't had a big time receiver in years. something that has hurt them badly. Not since Casey Clausen's sophmore season I think. His last two years he had ok recievers to throw to but no game breakers.
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •